- Who Was Elijah McClain? What to Know About His Death After a Police Encounter – The New York Times (And an alternate link.)
The three police officers claimed that all their body cameras fell off (what a coincidence!). They also claimed that five foot six inch, 140 pound Elijah McClain had “incredible, crazy strength,” and all three of them had to get on top of him.
- Opinion | America Didn’t Give Up on Covid-19. Republicans Did. – The New York Times (And an alternate link.)
“Covid-19 is like climate change: It isn’t the kind of menace the party wants to acknowledge. It’s not that the right is averse to fearmongering. But it doesn’t want you to fear impersonal threats that require an effective policy response…”
- The origin of “African American” | Arts & Culture | Yale Alumni Magazine
The author found the term “African American” used in 1782. There’s debate over if the writer was actually African-American, as they claimed to be.
- What the AI Behind AlphaGo Can Teach Us About Being Human | WIRED
A story about the first computer AI to beat a champion human Go player.
- The forgotten history of how automakers invented the crime of “jaywalking” – Vox
Includes a gorgeous vintage anti-jaywalking editorial cartoon.
- The Princess Bride Letters
In the novel The Princess Bride, there’s a missing scene, with an address to write if you’d like to get the missing scene mailed to you. I always intended to do that, and never did. But here’s the response(s) I would have received had I mailed them.
- It Can Happen Here | by Cass R. Sunstein | The New York Review of Books
A discussion of a few books about life for ordinary Germans under Hitler. “Decades afterward, memoirists referred to their ‘happy times’ in the Hitler Youth, focusing not on ideology but on hiking trips, camaraderie, and summer camps.”
- The (First) Time Nazis Marched in Portland
In 1936 – “As the cruiser arrived, Portlanders lined the waterfront, not to protest the already-publicized human rights atrocities underway in Germany, but to wave hankies and exchange “heil Hitler” salutes with the Emden crew…”
- I Am the Dad Who Installed Lava in the Rumpus Room Floor – McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
- Addressing The Claims In JK Rowling’s Justification For Transphobia
Lengthy and thorough.
- Anti-trans group admits bathroom predator myth is made up
- A faster response could have prevented most U.S. Covid-19 deaths – STAT
- West Side Story, but 12 minutes long and Cher plays every character – YouTube
I’m honestly impressed that, at the point in her career where Cher could do virtually anything and get it on TV, she chose this.
- Free Speech and Marginalized People – Liberal Currents
“. Suppression of speech is not directed most intensely at controversial speech. It’s directed at speech by people who are controversial—that is, at marginalized people who lack power, and who are therefore easily silenced and ignored.”
- » 30 Rock Landed on Us
A short essay about how 30 Rock approached race.
- My Family Saw a Police Car Hit a Kid on Halloween. Then I Learned How NYPD Impunity Works. — ProPublica
Although this story is less tragic, like the Elijah McClain story, it shows how freely police lie, and how little fear of consequence many police have.
- New research explores how conservative media misinformation may have intensified coronavirus – The Washington Post.
The three studies are suggestive, but of course correlation is not causation.
- Spray Their Names Aims to Paint Murals That Honor Lives Lost and Amplify Marginalized Voices – 303 Magazine
Both images in this link farm came from this article. The first image is a mural of Breonna Taylor painted by Detour, Hiero Veiga and Just. The second image is a mural of Elijah McClain painted by Detour and Hiero Veiga. Both photos are by Brittany Werges.
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Hasta la vista, European Twitter
4 hours ago
- Long Story; Short Pier
Six hundred thousand words and counting
21 hours ago
- Female Gazing
When I count up all my blessings
2 days ago
- The Incidental Economist
- Asking The Wrong Questions
- Spherical Bullshit
- Family Inequality
- RH Reality Check
It's Time to Impeach Alito
2 weeks ago
- Whipping Girl
- Ann Leckie's Blog
- Rachel Swirsky
Pete in a Pot
2 months ago
- Scott Wood Makes Lists
- Language: A Feminist Guide
Is this what a feminist looks like?
3 months ago
- Brute Reason
You Have to Catch All of Them
3 months ago
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets