- Donald Trump’s supporters are LESS likely to be affected by trade and immigration, not more – Vox
- New Study Shows Reading Harry Potter Lowers Americans’ Opinions of Donald Trump | Annenberg School for Communication
“Even when controlling for party identification, gender, education level, age, evangelical self-identification, and social dominance orientation — all factors known to predict Americans’ attitudes toward Donald Trump — the Harry Potter effect remained.”
- 30 U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies – The New York Times
- Ali-Liston 50th anniversary: The true story behind Neil Leifer’s perfect photo.
The surprisingly interesting stories behind a photo of a knocked out boxer.
- How the first liberal Supreme Court in a generation could reshape America – Vox
I hadn’t realized that (even without another liberal justice) the Court is likely to restrain the use of solitary confinement by prisons sometime in the next few years. Nonetheless, nothing about a Clinton presidency excites me more than changing the direction of the Supreme Court.
- Speaking of private prisons: Ramen is displacing tobacco as most popular US prison currency, study finds | The Guardian
“Cost-cutting measures by private facilities have led to subpar food quality and fewer meals, making noodles a commodity that trades well above its value.”
- Helping Rape Victims After the Brock Turner Case – NYTimes.com
“…inflexible mandatory minimum sentences, like the kind the California legislators want, are not the answer to our anger.” (Indirect link.)
- Stop Killing Coyotes – The New York Times
What I find interesting about this is the notion that our attempt to eradicate the coyote has only had the effect of spreading coyotes into more and more territory. I thought the argument about how photos of beefy middle-aged men tarnish middle America’s image was incredibly stupid, though. (Indirect link).
- How To Be A Thin Ally On A Plane | Dances With Fat
- What I learned as a hired consultant to autodidact physicists | Aeon Ideas
- Galactic Tick Day – Celebrate Existence
“The first Galactic Tick Day was one Galactic Tick (1.7361 years) after Hans Lippershey filed the patent for the first telescope on October 2nd, 160.” But do Federal workers get the day off?
- ECHIDNE OF THE SNAKES: Fun With Economics: The Politics of The Gender Gap in Wages and also the followup post: The Challenge: Prove That Discrimination in Labor Markets Exists
- Alex Powell – “You know in Toy Story 3 when Mr Potato Head puts his face bits on a tortilla and escapes? Really bothers me. Where is Mr Potato Head’s consciousness located? Is he an assortment of bits? A swarm?” (More at the link.)
- Hillary Clinton has eased one of the biggest doubts about her capacity to be a good president – Vox
One of my biggest doubts about Clinton was that her campaign organization in 2008 was notably poorly run. But she seems to have learned from that experience.
- Brewer Says Calling Clinton A ‘Lying Killer’ Was A ‘Stumble Of The Tongue’
Not the Onion!
- UCB comedy club banned comedian Aaron Glaser for alleged rape | Revelist
- Breitbart Editor Milo Yiannopoulos Takes $100,000 for Charity, Gives $0 – The Daily Beast
I suspect some combination of incompetence and not-giving-a-shit-ness, rather than a deliberate scam.
- The gender wage gap isn’t about women’s choices. It’s about how we value their work. – Vox
- A Hit Man Came to Kill Susan Kuhnhausen. She Survived. He Didn’t. – Willamette Week
- Donald Trump Adviser Al Baldasaro Calls for the Execution of Hillary Clinton – The Atlantic
- People are saying Amy Schumer “failed women” because she’s blocking critics on Twitter. That’s silly.
- God’s stealing the credit again
Interesting stats on Alcoholics Anonymous not working.
- Trump Encourages His Supporters to Patrol Polling Places, Says He Will Lose Pa. Only If There is Cheating | Election Law Blog
This is the sort of rhetoric that makes violence after Trump loses more likely to happen.
- The Five Worst Roberts Court Rulings
- The Cost to States of Not Expanding Medicaid – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Etiquette About Accidentally Misgendering Trans People | Thing of Things
- Larry Wilmore on Alton Sterling: the punishment for being a black man shouldn’t be death – Vox
It’s disappointing that Wilmore’s show has been cancelled.
- You can vote for Hillary Clinton and not be too thrilled about it – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Textbooks and the Civil Rights Movement – Lawyers, Guns & Money : Lawyers, Guns & Money
- Box Turtle Bulletin » Today In History, 1948: “Homosexual Ring Broken Up” At Mizzou
- New ‘Green Giant’ Mural by Blu on the Streets of Naples | Colossal
Click here to support Amp's political cartooning!
Most Recent Open ThreadThe most recent open thread can always be found at the top of this page. When older posts have closed comments, please respond to them on the most recent open thread.
- Older »
Alas, a Blogroll
- Echidne of the Snakes
- Election Law Blog
- Lawyers Guns and Money
Steven Hill, R.I.P.
2 hours ago
I agree with Arun
3 hours ago
- Beepy Boopy Veronica
4 hours ago
- We Hunted the Mammoth
- Not Sorry Feminism
Gif of the Day
6 hours ago
- The Volokh Conspiracy
New Heterodox Academy initiative
6 hours ago
Daily feminist cheat sheet
7 hours ago
- RH Reality Check
- Ann Leckie's Blog
Lieutenant Awn Elming Memorial Park
10 hours ago
- Daniel Larison
The Worsening Humanitarian Catastrophe in Yemen
12 hours ago
2016 Presidential Debate Schedule
13 hours ago
- Love, Joy, Feminism
Alas, A Subscription Service
Amp on TwitterMy Tweets